The Complex Systems Digital Campus (CS-DC) has announced the free online course on the subject “Systems Thinking and Complexity”. The course aimed to give you the knowledge that how to use systems and complexity thinking to address a variety of social, managerial and policy problems.
The course will look at the nature of social, managerial and policy problems, considering a variety of real-world examples: community action, crime and policing, health and social welfare, transportation, smart cities, energy, Europe and Brexit, and mass education for Africa and Latin America.The course will start on March 6, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 2 weeks
- Effort: 3 hours pw
- Subject: Systems Thinking and Complexity
- Institution: The Complex Systems Digital Campus (CS-DC)
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on March 6, 2017
- About University: The Complex Systems Digital Campus (CS-DC) is an international network of individuals and more than 100 universities and institutions working together and sharing resources to promote research and education in complex systems science and in integrative sciences.
- Aim of University: The CS-DC aims to provide high-quality open education in Complex Systems Science for students, researchers, and industry, commerce and policy makers worldwide. This science is essential to address the urgent problems of the modern world, including epidemics, financial crashes, population movements, natural disasters, poverty, conflict and the environment. Our courses are created by leading scientists from highly ranked institutions worldwide.
This course is suitable for:
- Managers in the private and public sectors responsible for commercial and policy problem-solving in their organization
- Scientists wanting to take their research into practical applications
- Officers of organizations such as UNESCO, the European Commission, and ministries in national governments
- Young people wanting to engage in problem-solving
- Citizens wanting to formulate arguments for or against top-down policies
- Or members of the general public motivated by curiosity or wanting to understand better the world we live in
About This Course
- Benefits: The course will provide you with systems thinking methods and tools, to apply to your own problems and share with other learners in the discussions. The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: The rapid increase in interest in complexity science is being driven predominantly by new challenges and demands in technology. Various industries are becoming increasingly aware that traditional approaches to design and engineering are failing to keep up with the increasing scale of today’s systems.
How to Join This Course
- You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://www.futurelearn.com/register
- Use the hashtag#FLsystemsthinking to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course.
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: You will discover how systems thinking approach can be used to understand and help to seek solutions to these problems, and explore the nature of complexity, why systems are complex and how complexity science can help.
- Certificate: To be eligible to buy a Certificate of Achievement, you must mark over 90% of course steps as complete and attempt all test questions, achieving a score of over 70%.
By the end of the two weeks, you will be able to:
- Define a system and apply the definition to a variety of social systems
- Recognize the features of particular systems that make them complex
- Analyze a system that interests you, to identify problems and formulate it in systems terms
- Apply advanced systems thinking to seek solutions to the messy management, business and policy problems you face.
Jeffrey Johnson: Professor of Complexity Science and Design at the Open University & Deputy President of the UNESCO UniTwin Complex Systems Digital Campus.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Management and Leadership: Growing as a Manager” free online course
- The course will look at the nature of social, managerial and policy problems, considering a variety of real-world. The problem-oriented course, providing you with both the theoretical understanding and practical tools, to find and implement solutions to organizational and social problems.
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: