The free online course named as “Introduction to Statistical Methods for Gene Mapping” is provided by the Kyoto University. The course is intended to give you knowledge about statistical methods used to identify genetic variants responsible for phenotypes.
Previous knowledge of molecular genetics and basic statistical concepts, such as statistical tests and estimation, is required. Basic knowledge on genetic variations is offered at the start of the course. The course will start on April 1, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 4 weeks
- Effort: 2-3 hours per week
- Subject: Data Analysis & Statistics
- Institution: Kyoto University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on April 1, 2017
- About University: Founded in 1897, Kyoto University is acknowledged as one of the most accomplished research-oriented universities in Asia. The validity of that reputation is testified by the accolades conferred on our alumni researchers, most notably eight Nobel Prize laureates who undertook vital research during their time at the university.
- Aim of University: Kyoto University states its mission to sustain and develop its historical commitment to academic freedom and to pursue harmonious coexistence within the human and ecological community on this planet.
- Undergraduate molecular genetics knowledge
- Basic concepts of statistical tests and estimation
About This Course
- Benefits: This data course is a primer to statistical genetics and covers an approach called linkage disequilibrium mapping, which analyzes non-familial data and has been successfully used to identify genetic variants associated with common and complex genetic traits. The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: The techniques developed for genetic mapping have had a great impact on the life sciences, and particularly in medicine. But genetic mapping technologies also have useful applications in other fields. Commercialization of the fruits of genomics research promises immense opportunities for industry.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: Students find this introductory course interesting and are motivated to study further topics in statistical genetics to understand biological variation from statistical standpoints.
- Certificate: You can pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($49), add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn. Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects.
- Basic terms for genetic variations and gene mapping
- Linkage disequilibrium mapping and genome-wide association studies (GWAS)
- Common and rare variants and their effects on phenotypes
Ryo Yamada is Professor of Statistical Genetics at Department of Medicine, Kyoto University.
No specific knowledge is required for the course but basic statistical will helpful to you during the course.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join
- Genetic mapping – also called linkage mapping – can offer firm evidence that a disease transmitted from parent to child is linked to one or more genes. Mapping also provides clues about which chromosome contains the gene and precisely where the gene lies on that chromosome.
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: