The Purdue University is glad to announce a free online course on “Body Weight: How Our Brain, Behavior, and Genetics Influence Appetite and Food Choices”. The course aimed to explore the environmental and biological factors that influence our appetite and food choices, and regulate our body weight.
The course will explore how body weight is influenced and also cover the given topics: Environmental factors, Social factors, learned behaviors, Biological factors, Central nervous system, Hormonal influence, Genetic influence and genetic disorders, Gene-environment interaction. The course will start on April 10, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 3 weeks
- Effort: 2 hours pw
- Subject: Health
- Institution: Purdue University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on April 10, 2017
- About University: Purdue University was founded in 1869 Purdue consistently ranks among the best universities worldwide (Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education).
- Aim of University: Purdue University is one of the four best public universities in the U.S, Purdue delivers an engaging learning experience and a world-class degree. Most importantly, Purdue believes students shouldn’t have to sacrifice affordability to earn a world-class education.
This course is suitable for everyone from individuals interested in learning more about their personal health to those with a background in basic biological processes who what to expand their knowledge. No prior experience or qualifications are necessary.
About This Course
- Benefits: This online course will provide the knowledge about environmental and biological factors that contribute to the regulation of body weight and control of food intake.The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Combined with physical activity, your diet can help you to reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of chronic diseases (like heart disease and cancer), and promote your overall health.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://www.futurelearn.com/register
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: Eating behavior is strongly influenced by social context so the course will help you to physiological factors that influence hunger and fullness. The course will awake you to the signals and systems in the body that work to maintain a healthy weight.
- Certificate: To be eligible to buy a Certificate of Achievement, you must mark over 90% of course steps as complete and attempt all test questions, achieving a score of over 70%.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Discuss the meaning of homeostasis
- Describe the physiological factors that influence hunger and fullness
- Explain how environmental stimuli influence eating
- Summarize how our genes interact with the environment to influence body weight.
Marek Hudon: He is a Professor at the Solvay Brussels School (SBS-EM), Université Libre de Bruxelles. He is the founder of the European Microfinance Program (EMP) and the co-director of CERMi and CEESE.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Exercise Prescription for the Prevention and Treatment of Disease” free online course
- This topic is important for understanding the current obesity epidemic in many parts of the world. Biological factors governing food intake are well known, but environmental stimuli challenge the signals and systems in the body that work to maintain a healthy weight.
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: