Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) would like to announce free online course named as “Introduction to Management Information Systems (MIS): A Survival Guide”. The course designed to gain the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in an MIS-dominated corporate world.
This MIS course will cover supporting tech infrastructures (Cloud, Databases, Big Data), the MIS development/ procurement process, and the main integrated systems, ERPs, such as SAP, Oracle or Microsoft Dynamics Navision, as well as their relationship with Business Process Redesign.The course will start on February 21, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 6 weeks
- Effort: 3-4 hours per week
- Subject: Business & Management
- Institution: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M)
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on February 21, 2017.
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) established in 1989, UC3M develops its activities in four campuses and enrolls about 18.000 students in undergraduate and graduate programs (18% are foreign students). UC3M has a large offer of programs taught in English and is the 1st university in Spain and the 3rd in Europe in terms of undergraduate students taking part in the Erasmus student exchange programs.
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) is an innovative public university committed to the improvement of society through the teaching of the highest quality and cutting-edge research in line with stringent international guidelines. UC3M has three degree-granting Schools, in addition to a School of Graduate Studies and a Doctoral School.
- Basic user-level computer literacy
- Business awareness is recommended
About This Course
- Benefits: Course will use real-world examples to illustrate key concepts, and strive to strike a proper balance between clarity/amenity and conceptual soundness. Join us on this stimulating journey that will allow you to better understand and perform in your current or desired job. The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Management Information Systems often referred to as MIS, is an important discipline because it allows people to support business operations through technology. The term refers to the ability to manage a collection of systems, which work together transferring data throughout the organization.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Week 1: MISs. Importance. Procurement
They will examine how modern information and communication technologies (ICTs) are transforming our world, and analyze what Management Information Systems (MISs) are and how do they fit within the overall ICTs environment.
Week 2: The Communications revolution – Distributed Information Systems
They will discuss how the trend towards globalization and continuous connectivity drives the need for distributed MISs supported by Telecommunication Networks. They will explore the various types of networks and distributed MISs Architectures.
Week 3: Data, Databases, Big Data
Data is the raw material upon which information is built. They will discuss the role played by data (and, particularly, data structure) in MISs, and analyze the Database Management Systems used to manage data. Then explore the fast-evolving landscape of Big Data.
Week 4: Integrated Information Systems (ERP) and Integrated Business Processes
Integrated Information Systems are the “top predators” at the apex of the MIS world. They will introduce participants to the concept of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, and their relationship with Integrated Business Processes.
Week 5: Implementing and customizing ERPs and other major MISs. Who adapts to whom?
Implementing an ERP is a major project. It generally requires either modifying current business practices (through Business Process Reengineering) or customizing the ERP system.
Week 6: MISs in decision-making
In this last week, they will turn attention from the day-to-day operation of the business to the role played by MISs in information-driven decision-making. After discussing Decision Support Systems (DSSs) and the analytics used in Big Data environments, they shall conclude with a word about the future and a heartfelt farewell.
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: This course will focus on what MIS are, how they influence your current or prospective jobs, why they impose specific – and sometimes seemingly absurd – operational procedures, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage in your professional life.
- Certificate: You can pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($50), Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score.
- Understand Management Information Systems (MIS) and their role in today’s organizations
- Identify how MIS shapes and controls current (or prospective) jobs and how to use this insight to improve your own job performance and satisfaction and enhance your career prospects
- Become familiar with the major trends in MIS and MIS infrastructures (Cloud, Big Data, ERPs, outsourcing) and how these evolutions will affect workplaces and business strategies
- Bridge the MIS-related second “digital gap” that exists, after basic computer literacy, in most professional jobs
Iván García Miranda: He is the associate professor at the Engineering Management Area at UC3M since 2010. He obtained his Industrial Engineering degree from Universidad de Gijón in 2000 and his Ph.D. degree in Industrial Engineering in 2009.
Alejandra Pajares Barroso: She is a student in the Industrial Engineering postgraduate program at UC3M. She has been working as a research assistant for the Industrial Engineering Department at UC3M since September 2016.
Alfonso Durán Heras: He is the coordinator of this MOOC, professor of Engineering Management at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M). At UC3M he has taught Management Information Systems (MIS), Operations Management and Business Administration at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels since 1995.
Jesús Sáez Alegre: He is a student in the Industrial Engineering postgraduate program at UC3M. He has been working as a research assistant for the Industrial Engineering Department at UC3M since September 2016.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course just an interest Business & Management.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Project Management Techniques for Development Professionals” free online course.
- In this course, you will examine how modern information and communication technologies (ICTs) are transforming our world, and analyze what Management Information Systems (MISs) are and how do they fit within the overall ICTs environment. After completing the course you will be able to identify how MIS shapes and controls current (or prospective) jobs and how to use this insight to improve your own job performance and satisfaction and enhance your career prospects
- Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: