Shanghai International Studies University is proud to declare free online course named as “Intercultural Communication”. The free online course is intended to inform you about cultural stories and exploring different cultures. You will be amazed to see how cultures have influenced our perceptions, thinking, communication styles, values, and beliefs.
This free online course will focus on the basic but important concepts course will help you better understand cross-cultural complexity highlight some notable variations in communication styles and cultural values, and signpost paths towards building your intercultural competence. The course will start on 27 March 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 5 weeks
- Effort: 4 hours per week
- Subject: Intercultural Communication
- Institution: Shanghai International Studies University (SISU)
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on March 27, 2017
- About University: Shanghai International Studies University (SISU), established in 1949, is one of the earliest institutions where China’s higher education in foreign languages took shape. SISU has now two campuses, one in Hongkou District and the other in Songjiang New District.
- Aim of University: The mission of SISU is to cultivate high-level foreign language professionals with multi-disciplinary knowledge and international expertise.
This course assumes no prior knowledge and is suitable for pre-university, undergraduate and post-experience students.
About This Course
- Benefits: Whether you’re engaging in business across borders or cultural regions, meeting other people through international travel, working in a diverse, global organization or studying abroad, you can benefit from a better understanding of intercultural communication. The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Intercultural communication offers the ability to deal across cultures, which is increasingly important, as the world gets smaller. Getting smaller doesn’t mean the world is becoming identical, it means having more and more contact with people who are culturally different.
How to Join This Course
- You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://www.futurelearn.com/register
- Use the hashtag #FLintercultural to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: The understanding and appreciation of cultural differences that you gain will help you adjust to the new cultural practices that come into your life – whether via the media or through interpersonal interactions.
- Certificate: To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete. You can display on your Linkedin or CV.
- Identify the importance of learning intercultural communication
- Describe the composition and significance of your cultural identities
- Compare cultural assumptions of your own and others
- Identify cultural variations in communication styles
- Classify some major cultural values underlying different behaviors
- Apply these for adaptation in intercultural interactions more confidently and resourcefully
- Steve Kulich: He is a Professor/Director of the SISU Intercultural Institute, MA, Ph.D. and MBA IC Programs at Shanghai International Studies University.
- Hongling Zhang: She is Professor and Deputy Director of the Intercultural Institute of Shanghai International Studies University. Director of Office of International Cooperation and Exchange, SISU.
- Ruobing Chi: She is teacher and researcher at the Intercultural Institute of Shanghai International Studies University.
You will need high school-level English or above, an interest in international issues, and curiosity about, exposure to or experience with other cultures.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Communicating Complex Information: Presenting Your Ideas Clearly and Effectively” free online course.
- Learn to appreciate, adjust to, and work or study in different cultures, with this free online intercultural communication course. You will start a journey of self-discovery, telling each other our cultural stories and exploring different cultures.
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/intercultural-communication