The free online course named as “Family Business – Strategy Essentials” is provided by The University of British Columbia. The free online course gives you the knowledge that how to manage the complex dynamics of a family business and sustain your enterprise into future generations.
This business and management course will introduce you to the unique skills and knowledge needed to manage and sustain healthy family enterprises. The course will start on March 21, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 6 weeks
- Effort: 3-4 hours per week
- Subject: Business & Management
- Institution: The University of British Columbia
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on March 21, 2017
- About University: Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners everywhere.
- Aim of University: The university aim to Increase access to high-quality education for everyone, everywhere
Enhance teaching and learning on campus and online Advance teaching and learning through research.
Secondary school, analyze basic notions about business and/or practical business experience is required for the course. You will be able to stress test your own business mo analyze its future success.
About This Course
- Benefits: This course is designed for anyone whose work intersects a family business – whether you are an entrepreneur, an owner, an employee, a family member or an advisor to family business. The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: It can be said the family businesses serve as the brains behind innovation, the heart behind local philanthropy, and the nerve system of our entire free enterprise system. Over 90% of all US firms are family owned. They employ 62% of the country’s work force and create 78% of the new jobs. A recent University of Connecticut study showed that 79% of family owned businesses incorporate socially responsible practices into their business.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Week 1 & 2: My Business model in a dynamic context
- Recap: structured description of a business model
- Sources and drivers of change: politics, economy, society, technology, legal, ecology (PESTLE)
- Trends vs uncertainties.
Week 3 & 4: Selecting trends and uncertainties affecting my business model
- What are my key stress factors and outcomes (=scenario axis development)
- Mapping stress factors on business model (facts and issues)
Week 5 & 6: Stress-testing my business model
- Confronting BM with the stress factors
- Create a heat map (=stresstesting)
Week 7 & 8: Improving my business model
- Analyse the weak and strong points (will my BM be sustainable in the future)
- What can I do to keep my BM sustainable? (=formulating concrete actions)
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: You will be able to How to identify which trends and uncertainties will affect your business model Evaluate how robust your business model is given trends and uncertainties.
- Certificate: Pursuing a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($99). Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
- How to leverage family dynamics in order to improve business performance
- The power to enhance relationships among family, business owners and staff
- To create a framework of agreements and protocols to drive business success
- To implement a successful business strategy through shared family values and vision
- How to set up the next generation for successful leadership of the family enterpris
- David C. Bentall: David co-founded the Business Families Centre at UBC’s Sauder School of Business where he served as Founding Chair from 2001-2006 and serves as an Adjunct Professor teaching in Executive Education, undergraduate and MBA programs. As the founding principal of Next Step Advisors Inc, David provides family business advisory services and executive coaching to clients globally.
- Wendy Sage-Hayward: Wendy brings 25+ years of experience working with business leaders, family firms, and boards as a Consultant at the Family Business Consulting Group. She is a member of her own family firm which celebrates 130+ years in business and consists of 48+ cousin partners from generations 3-6.
Basic knowledge of Business is might be helpful to you during the course.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Business Model Testing” free online course.
- After completing the course you will learn through real-world examples from well-known companies and interact with fellow entrepreneurs. By the end of this course, you will be able to stress test your own business model to analyze its future success.
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course, and your average test score. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: