The Smithsonian Institution is providing you the opportunity to join “Design in the Classroom with Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum” free online course. The course aimed to teach design thinking in the K-12 classroom using Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum’s innovative classroom activity.
In this course, you will define design and learn how it can be many things to many people. You will also learn the stages of the design process and work through each stage to create a design solution to a real-life community problem.The course will start on March 28, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 5 weeks
- Effort: 1-2 hours per week
- Subject: Education & Teacher Training
- Institution: The Smithsonian Institution
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on March 28, 2017
- About University: The Smithsonian Institution is the world’s largest museum, education, and research complex, with 19 museums and the National Zoo—shaping the future by preserving our heritage, discovering new knowledge, and sharing our resources with the world.
- Aim of University: The Institute mission is increase and diffusion of knowledge- across the spectrum of human inquiry.
No specific knowledge or education background is assumed for the free online course.
About This Course
- Benefits: This education and teacher training course has been developed to train teachers to use design thinking in the classroom to find creative and innovative solutions to everyday community problems. The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: Early childhood classrooms serve as the physical environment for adults and young children for most of their waking hours. Although it is important for classrooms to be attractive to the eye, it is equally, if not more important, that they function effectively.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: This education and teacher training course has been developed to train teachers to use design thinking in the classroom to find creative and innovative solutions to everyday community problems.
- Certificate: You can pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($99) Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn. Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects.
- What the design process is
- How to implement the design process in your own classroom using design-based lesson plans
- How to teach other educators to use the design process in their classrooms
Michelle Cheng: She manages the professional development programs for K-12 educators at Cooper Hewitt. In particular, she leads the Smithsonian Design Institute (SDI), an innovative week-long program in the summer for teachers from across the country to help them bring design into their classroom as a tool that can be used across the curriculum.
You have an interest in art and designing and no other knowledge is required.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Analytics for the Classroom Teacher” free online course.
- Finally, you will take design into your own classroom by discussing how design thinking can be used to address required curriculum, evaluating existing design-based lesson plans, and creating a design-based lesson plan for your students.
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score. The certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: