The Columbia University has announced the free online course termed as Analytics in Python. The course is intended to give you knowledge of the fundamental of programming in Python and develop the ability to analyze data and make data-driven decisions.
In this course, they will first cover the basics of programming and then focus on using Python on the entire data management process from data acquisition to analysis of data big data and small data. The course will start on May 22, 2017.
Course At A Glance
- Length: 12 weeks
- Effort: 8-10 hours per week
- Subject: Business & Management
- Institution: Columbia University
- Languages: English
- Price: Free
- Certificate Available: Yes
- Session: The course will start on May 22, 2017.
- About University: Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields.
- Aim of University: It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions.
Prior exposure to some programming language is helpful but not necessary.
About This Course
- Benefits: The goal of this course is to introduce learners to the basics of programming in Python and to give a working knowledge of how to use programs to deal with data.The language of the course is English.
- Importance of the Subject in Today’s Scenario: In the current era of big data, python is getting more popularity due to its easy-to-use features which support big data processing. Python Programming is a general purpose programming language that is open source, flexible, powerful and easy to use.
How to Join This Course
You should register yourself through the given link to join this free on-line course: https://courses.edx.org/register
Why Take This Course
- Advantage of Course: Python is a popular, general-purpose programming language with an emphasis on being readable and allowing programmers to use fewer lines of code to accomplish tasks than in older languages.
- Certificate: Pursuing a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain ($375). Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution’s logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects.
- Become familiar with working with relational databases, using SQL based languages such as MySql, dealing with formatted data (XML, JSON, etc.)
- Use Python to work with and analyze data from databases as well as from the web
- Use Big Data processing frameworks like Hadoop and MapReduce
Hardeep Johar: He was been on the management team of a startup (Peak Strategy) and an advisory board member of another (mSpoke, Inc.). Prior to joining Columbia, Hardeep has been teaching as an Adjunct Professor at the business schools at NYU, Columbia, and Fordham Universities.
Basic knowledge of Science might be useful during the course.
You Might Also Be Interested In
If you are interested you can also join “Data Mining: Theories and Algorithms for Tackling Big Data” free online course.
- Data is the lifeblood of an organization. Competency in programming is an essential skill for successfully extracting information and knowledge from data. You will get knowledge that how to use Python to work with and analyze data from databases as well as from the web
- Your Certificate provides a detailed transcript of what you’ve learned. This includes how long you spent studying the course and your average test score. The Certificate and transcript give you evidence to show during job or university applications, or appraisals.
For more information about the course, you can check the given link: