The Frederick Douglass Institute of University of Rochester is now accepting an application for its two fellowships named as “The Pre-doctoral Fellowship” and “The Post-doctoral Fellowship”. The fellowship programs are open to scholars and graduate student of any university. Its mission is to further undergraduate and graduate education, faculty research, and intellectual exchange within the University community. The Pre-doctoral fellowship annual stipend is $26,000 and a post-doctoral fellowship annual stipend is $40,000 and a $3,000 for research-related activities.
The Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies was established in 1986 to promote the development of African and African-American studies in undergraduate and graduate education and to advance research at Rochester.
To be eligible for both fellowships, the candidate must meet all the following criteria:
- For the Post-doctoral Fellowship:
- The scholars who hold a Ph.D. degree in a field that contributes to African and African-American studies.
- Applicants for the 2017-2018 academic year must have their Ph.D. in hand before the fellowship begins in September 2017
- For the Pre-doctoral Fellowship:
- The graduate student at any university whose degree contributes to scholarship in the field of African and African-American Studies.
- This fellowship can be awarded to a graduate student at any university whose degree contributes to scholarship in the field of African and African-American Studies.
- To qualify for this residential fellowship in the 2017-18 academic year, an applicant will need to have successfully completed the following before the end of this (2016-17) academic year:
- All required courses
- Qualifying oral and/or written exams
- At least one chapter of their dissertation (this chapter is a required portion of the application package)
How to Apply:
To be applying for the both fellowships, the candidates can create an account through the given link:
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship- https://www.rochester.edu/fort/fdi_predoc/
- Postdoctoral Fellowship- https://www.rochester.edu/fort/fdi_postdoc/
To apply for the two fellowships you will need to provide the department with:
The Postdoctoral Fellowship:
- A curriculum vitae
- A three to five-page description of the:
- Research you plan to conduct during your fellowship year
- Undergraduate course you would like to teach
- A sample of published or unpublished writing on a topic related to the proposal
- Three letters of recommendation (to be sent directly to FDI at the address indicated below) that comment upon the value and feasibility of the work proposed
The Pre-doctoral Fellowship:
- A curriculum vitae
- An official transcript showing completion of all preliminary coursework and qualifying examinations
- The dissertation prospectus
- Completed chapter(s) from the dissertation
- Three letters of recommendation mailed directly by the recommenders to FDI, including one from the dissertation supervisor that specifically addresses the candidate’s prospects for completing the project within a year
Financial Aid and Award Money:
At Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies,
- The Pre-doctoral Fellowship is awarding: An annual stipend of $26,000 and the institute offers research funds to support the fellow’s research.
- The Post-doctoral Fellowship is awarding:
- An annual stipend of $40,000 and a $3,000 fund for research-related activities
- The Fellow will participate in the intellectual life of the Institute, pursue their own scholarship, and teach one course in their own area of specialization.
- All fellows receive office space in the Institute, full access to the University’s facilities, and opportunities to interact and collaborate with scholars relevant to their projects within the University.
- Fellows must be in full-time residence during the tenure of their awards and they are required to be engaged in scholarly activity on a full-time basis. Fellows are expected to:
- Be available for consultation with students and colleagues
- Make at least one formal presentation based on their research
- Contribute generally to the intellectual life of the institute
Applications for both programs will be accepted from September 1, 2016, to December 20, 2016. The fellowship awards will be announced in early March 2017.
Link for more Information:
Contact Information: For more information about our fellowships, call at:
(585) 276-5744, (585) 256-2594 (fax) or FDI-at-rochester.edu