The Everglades Foundation is committed to supporting graduate research students actively pursuing the development of innovative scientific methods to advance the understanding of Everglades’ physical, chemical or biological processes, or research in economic impacts of environmental changes. Hence the foundation provides fellowship and scholarships for advanced research in support of the restoration of the Florida Everglades. The foundation will provide total up to $1, 20,000 awards in their scholarships and fellowship (up to $20,000 / year -Ph.D. level and $10,000 / year- MSc level) for stipends, tuition fees, travel, and other research-related expenses.
The Everglades Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to leading efforts to restore and protect the greater Everglades ecosystem. Since its founding in 1993 by a group of local outdoor enthusiasts, the Foundation has become a respected and important advocate for the sustainability of one of the world’s most unique ecosystems.
To eligible, the applicant must meet all the following criteria:
The ForEverglades scholarships:
- Full-time graduate research students from all universities pursuing degrees in earth sciences, biological sciences, engineering, geography, planning and resources management, and economics.
- Cross-disciplinary research efforts are of special interest.
- Graduate students from any academic institution are welcome to apply for the ForEverglades Scholarship.
The FIU ForEverglades scholarships
- Full-time graduate research students from Florida International University (FIU) pursuing degrees in sciences and engineering. Cross-disciplinary research efforts are of special interest.
- Only graduate students from FIU are welcome to apply for the FIU ForEverglades Scholarship.
- The scholarships will be awarded to full-time graduate students enrolled in or accepted for admission to FIU who are pursuing Everglades restoration-related research in the School of Environment, Arts, and Society in the College of Arts & Sciences.
The FAU HBOI ForEverglades scholarships:
- Full-time graduate students from Florida Atlantic University (FAU) pursuing degrees in sciences and engineering conducting Greater Everglades-related
- Preference will be given to students enrolled in an FAU Marine Science and Oceanography degree program who have a Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute (HBOI) research faculty advisor (chair of the student’s thesis or dissertation committee).
- FAU graduate students with HBOI faculty member/s serving on their thesis and dissertation research advisory committee would be eligible if the research ties into HBOI and Everglades Foundation research areas.
- Applications from FAU graduate students not linked to HBOI will be examined on a case by case basis.
The ForEverglades fellowships:
- Full-time graduate research students pursuing degrees in sciences, engineering, and economics. Cross-disciplinary research efforts are of special interest.
- The Everglades Foundation ForEverglades Fellowship program will only support direct collaboration between university professors (and/or scientists affiliated with other agencies) and Foundation science staff member(s).
- This collaboration is to be initiated by the academic staff member at least 6 months before the award is made. Past recipients of this fellowship are welcome to apply.
How to Apply:
To apply, the applicant can download the application form from the given link:
- ForEverglades Scholarship- http://www.evergladesfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ForEvergladesScholarships-Flyer_2017_Updated.pdf
- FIU ForEverglades Scholarship- http://www.evergladesfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ForEvergladesScholarships-Flyer_2017_Updated.pdf
- FAU Harbor Branch ForEverglades Scholarship- http://www.evergladesfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ForEvergladesScholarships-Flyer_2017_Updated.pdf
- ForEverglades Fellowship- http://www.evergladesfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ForEvergladesFellowships-Flyer_2017.pdf
The application for the Everglades Foundation’s Scholarships should contain the following:
- A proposal describing the research that the scholarship would support (no more than 5,000 words). The proposal is to clearly emphasize the expected contributions to Everglades research and relevance to Everglades restoration.
- Proposed budget.
- A personal essay of no more than 2 pages on the candidate’s career goals and how the scholarship will support those goals and contributions.
- Curriculum vitae, including transcripts.
- A letter of reference from the student’s major professor.
- At least one, and up to three other academic or professional letter(s) of reference preferably from an investigator(s) currently engaged in Everglades research.
- Other relevant or supporting work products or documentation (such as published papers, presentations, awards, etc.) could optionally be included.
The completed applications and letters of reference should be emailed to fellowship-at-evergladesfoundation.org.
Printed packages and letters of reference are also accepted. These can be sent to:
Everglades Foundation Fellowship Program
18001 Old Cutler Road, Suite 625
Palmetto Bay, FL 33157
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- ForEverglades Scholarship- provide up to $20,000 / year (PhD level) and $10,000 / year (MSc level) for stipends, tuition fees, travel, and other research-related expenses.
- FIU ForEverglades Scholarship- provide up to $20,000 / year (D. level) and $10,000 / year (MSc level) for stipends, tuition fees, travel, and other research-related expenses.
- FAU Harbor Branch ForEverglades Scholarship- provide up to $20,000/year (D. level) and $10,000/year (MSc level) towards research assistantship stipends, tuition fees, travel, and other research- related expenses.
- ForEverglades Fellowship- provide up to $20,000 / year (D. level) and $10,000 / year (MSc level) for stipends, tuition fees, travel, and other research-related expenses.
- The amount of money associated with the scholarship is subject to change.
- The number of scholarships depends on the number and quality of applications.
- The duration of this scholarship is set for 12 months.
The applications are due on July 31, 2017. Awards will be announced no later than September 30, 2017. Late applications will not be accepted.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, email to fellowship-at-evergladesfoundation.org