The Deadline Club is pleased to announce the Deadline Club Scholarship Competition. The competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in journalism or journalism-oriented communications programs in the New York City metropolitan area. The mission of the program is to support and encourage journalism in the metropolitan area for decades through its annual scholarship program. The program will worth four merit-based scholarships of $2,500 each (total $10,000).
The Deadline Club is the largest chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, and the society’s 2013 Large Chapter of the Year. Founded in New York City in 1925, it has around 300 members working in newspapers, magazines, radio, television and the Internet, as well as retired journalists and journalism educators.It funds these financial awards through The Deadline Club Foundation, a 501(c)2 that it founded to help raise money for scholarships.
- To be eligible the applicant must be undergraduate and graduate students
- The applicants who are enrolled in journalism or journalism-oriented communications programs in the New York City metropolitan area, which includes all campuses within 50 miles of Columbus Circle, are eligible to apply.
How to Apply:
To apply, the applicant can submit online application go through the given link: https://enter.omnisam.com/menu-home.aspx?comp_id=43598667-2C84-48EC-A0A3-4B148C8EF0C9
- Submit a 300-word essay (typed, double-spaced) summarizing your goals, interests, and accomplishments related to journalism and the ethos of the Society of Professional Journalists.
- Submit three to five writing samples consisting of edited articles published in print or online.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from an educator familiar with your academic record. If the person writing your letter of recommendation prefers that you not see it, it can be emailed to scholarship-at-deadlineclub.org.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- The scholarships are funded through an affiliated 501(c)3 organization, known as The Deadline Club Foundation, with the primary source of funding being the proceeds from the annual awards program.This year, depending on its financial position, the Foundation plans to award a total of up to $10,000 through as many as four merit-based scholarships of $2,500 each.
- Recipients are encouraged to attend The Deadline Club’s annual awards dinner as its guests. The 2017 awards dinner will be held on May 22, 2017, at The Harvard Club in Manhattan, where the scholarship winners will be publicly congratulated in front of an audience of more than 200 New York City journalists.
The deadline for applications is due on Tuesday, April 25, 2017, at 11:59 p.m.Scholarship recipients will be notified by email no later than May 5.
Link for More Information: