Are you a diverse law student about to start law school in California? The California State Bar Foundation wants to support you! They want to see more diverse lawyers practicing at every level of the profession! Hence the Foundation is delighted to announce the 1L Diversity Scholarship.Any diverse student who will matriculate in a California law school fall 2017 is eligible to apply for the program. The program helps in aspiring law graduates pursue their dreams. The mission of the CSB Foundation promotes and encourages the philanthropic and charitable efforts of California’s lawyers, and supports an array of other education and outreach programs.The scholarship provides $7,500 to help defray the costs of the 1L year.
The California State Bar Foundation was founded in 1990, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to building a better justice system for all Californians. Through the voluntary donations of California lawyers and other donors and the contributions of our corporate sponsors, the Foundation distributes grants to nonprofit organizations, courts, and bar associations for law-related projects; awards scholarships to law school students committed to public service.
To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Accepted and committed to matriculating in a California law school at the time of submitting an Application, and
- Starting at his or her first year at a California law school in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Committed to making an impact through community leadership (although there is no requirement to pursue a public interest career).
- Candidate must intend to practice law in California after graduating from law school.
- Students attending online law schools must be California residents.
- Students in LLM programs are not eligible.
- Diversity includes a broad array of backgrounds and life experiences, including students from groups or with skills or attributes that are underrepresented in the legal profession, and specifically including students from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds
How to Apply:
To be applying for the scholarship, the applicant can register go through the given link:
Submit one signed letter of recommendation.
- The letter may be copies of letters submitted with Candidate’s law school applications.
- The letter should address Candidate’s leadership qualities and/or community involvement.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
The California State Bar Foundation provides $7,500 to the winning candidates.
The 2017 Application Deadline is 5 pm, Thursday, June 1, 2017. Scholarship applicants will be notified of decisions by September 2017. Recipients must use scholarship funding for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, email at scholarships-at-calbarfoundation.org.