The Black Metropolis Research Consortium (BMRC) is offering Summer Short-term Fellowship Program for citizens or permanent residents of any country that is funded by the Andrew w. Mellon foundation. Fellowship Program has engaged scholars, artists, writers, and public historians from the United States and Europe to better formulate new historical narratives of Chicago’s past.The purpose of the summer short-term research fellowship is creating research opportunities for scholars and artists to conduct primary research in Chicago-based archival repositories. The BMRC provides a stipend of $4000 for 12-15 fellows each year.
The Black Metropolis Research Consortium (BMRC) is a Chicago-based membership association of libraries, universities, and other archival institutions. Its mission is to make broadly accessible its members’ holdings of materials that document African American and African Diasporas culture, history, and politics, with a specific focus on materials relating to Chicago.
- Citizens or permanent residents of any country (applicant from countries outside the United States must hold a valid passport and be able to obtain a J-1 visa even if they are currently in the United States)
- Scholars and artists with outstanding capabilities and experience from a variety of backgrounds (including academia, journalism, and other professions)
- English language proficiency
How to Apply:
Applicants, those who are interested can register or log in through the given link:
- Gospel Music: https://bmrc.submittable.com/submit/67986/2017-bmrc-summer-short-term-fellowship-program-gospel-music
- Design, Urban Design & Architecture: https://bmrc.submittable.com/submit/67987/2017-bmrc-summer-short-term-fellowship-program-design-urban-design-architectu
- For application guidelines, you can follow this link:http://bmrc.lib.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/BMRC_2017FellowApplicationGuidelines-1.pdf
Applications materials all files should be submitted in PDF or MS Word Format, unless otherwise noted. You may submit application materials in separate files or all in one file (all in one file and PDF preferred). Also, include your last name in the file name of all documents.
- Cover letter
- Title Page: Include applicant’s name, contact information, project title, academic sponsor and/or research institution, and reference names and institutions.
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of Intent: What is the anticipated impact of your research? Who or what will be most affected?
- Project Description: A statement of outlining the project with a maximum of 1500 words.
- Letters of recommendation: Three (3) letters of recommendation addressing the merits of the candidate and the candidate’s proposal
- Support materials: All submitted work samples should have been completed within the past four (4) years.
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- Each fellowship consists of one month of support during the summer fellowship period.
- The BMRC provides a stipend of $4000 for each fellow to be utilized during the summer in the year in which it was awarded. The BMRC awards approximately 12-15 fellowships each year.
The deadline for applications for the 2017 BMRC Fellowships is January 15, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any question, email at bmrc-at-uchicago.edu