The Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) is now accepting an application for Steel Scholarship Program. The scholarship is open to university freshmen, sophomore, and junior students. AIST scholarships are awarded on an annual basis to talented and dedicated students to encourage them to pursue careers within iron and steel-related industries. Up to US$6,000 is offered for graduate students in the honor of people in the steel industry who have made a significant contribution or achievement to steel technology.
The Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) is a non-profit organization with 18,000 members from more than 70 countries. The mission of AIST is to advance the technical development, production, processing and application of iron and steel.
- Students in the following engineering/engineering technology majors may apply: metallurgy, materials science, electrical, mechanical, chemical, industrial, and environmental, computer science.
- Applications will be accepted from university freshmen, sophomore, and junior applicants.
- Applicant must be enrolled full-time in a four-year undergraduate program at an accredited North American university.
- Applicant should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Application, essay and recommendation letters should express a strong interest in the iron and steel industry.
How to Apply:
The following documents must be submitted:
- A current resume with work experience and any extracurricular activities, noting any leadership positions.
- An essay, not to exceed two pages in length, citing professional goals, explaining why the student is interested in a career in the steel industry, and discussing how your skills could be applied to enhance the industry.
- Letters of recommendation from a professor or academic advisor familiar with your work and interest in the steel industry (minimum of two) and from an employer (optional, but recommended if the student has relevant industry work experience). Endorsement letters should be made to the attention of the AIST Foundation Scholarship Committee. Letters must be submitted directly to lwharrey-at-aist.org.
- A current academic transcript or other official documentation of academic standing and performance. Official transcripts are not required.
Financial Aid and Award Amount:
Up to US$6,000 is offered for graduate students.
Completed applications, including all required documents, should be submitted electronically by October 31, 2016.
Link for More Information:
Questions about the scholarships and/or application process should be directed to Lori Wharrey at +1.724.814.3044.