The Smithsonian Institution is excited to pronounce its 2017 Smithsonian Artist Research Fellowship (SARF).The SARF program provides outstanding artists a unique opportunity to work with Smithsonian collections, facilities, and experts so they may conduct research that inspires new artwork. SARF Fellows will spend one to two months in residence at the Smithsonian immersed in its unparalleled collections studying with multidisciplinary experts, building connections between art, science, history, and culture.
The Smithsonian Institution established in 1846 “for the increase and diffusion of knowledge,” is a group of museums and research centers administered by the Government of the United States.
- Outstanding visual artists Strong exhibition history beyond the home region
- Demonstrated record of artistic accomplishment
- Ability to create a strong research proposal that utilizes Smithsonian specific resources
- Ability to independently secure a nomination and a Smithsonian advisor
- U.S. citizens and foreign nationals with proficiency in written and spoken English
- Ability to independently arrange accommodation and travel
- Self-reliant and flexible
- Undergraduate students and MFA candidates and Smithsonian employee or contractors if the Smithsonian Fellowship would coincide with their employment, are not eligible.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this fellowship, you need to submit a completed Nomination Form that can be easily downloaded from the given link: http://www.smithsonianofi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SARF-Nomination-Form.pdf
- The nominee should email their completed form to SIOFI-at-si.edu
- Received an email from Office of Fellowships and Internships acknowledging receipt of nomination form
- Received an email from the Office of Fellowships and Internships inviting you to apply
- Stipends are up to $4,500 per month and are prorated according to a Fellow’s exact length of tenure.
- Also, a Travel Allowance, exclusively for a Fellow’s one-time relocation cost (average cost of a round-trip coach seat on a train or airplane at the time of tenure) from his/her home to the Smithsonian, may also be provided. If Fellow elect to split the appointment into multiple trips, he/she will be responsible for covering the additional travel costs.
- A Research Allowance of up to $2,000 may be available for the artist to purchase research equipment or materials necessary for the Fellowship. Any travel related specifically to a Fellow’s research (e.g., non-local travel from one Smithsonian location to another to conduct research) falls into the category of research.
The completed application must be submitted by October 17, 2016, at 11:59 AM (EST).
Link for More Information: